This is my first session in quite a while, and it shows:
The only one I really like is the 15 minute pose from behind, where I concentrated more on tone than line. For the 20 minute pose I managed to get lost in proportions, and didn’t have time to fix it. I think it was the foreshortening on the leg that threw me. It was a similar story with the final pose, although here I realised my mistake (which was the angle of the back this time) with enough time left for a partial fix.
In terms of moving forwards, I need to keep practising and so need to find a way to get to life drawing sessions more reliably. That is going to be a challenge given the timings of my new role.
A slight tangent for the interior exercise, as I think it’s supposed to be in black and white (achromatic). I took a bit of time out to play with getting a better tonal range with coloured pencils. Continue reading “Playing with colour”
This has been a fairly long winded Project in its own way. I previously commented on my composition research, which I have been combining with some experiments in different media. I’m beginning to think more when building a composition – which I suppose is a level of success.
The next step, I think, is to move on to the other exercises and apply this new experimenting with media and composition to them. Its likely to be an interesting journey, as I have a lot of new things to think about.
Within the media, the water colour wax crayons have worked OK – but the oil pastels are too crude. They would be best for very large format drawings, or I need to find a way to provide more subtlety in their use. The blending of colour “in situ,” rather than on a palette, is also proving quite a challenge for me – but one I need as however many colours I have available I’ll never have everything I’d like.
I found this session interesting, as it concentrated on tone provided by having a shaded ground and then adding/subtracting. The first is white paper with charcoal, and the next two black paper with white chalk.
Started to draw a rock on a wooden base with shadows as dip pen practice. This approach was suggested as an alternative to fineliner by my tutor. In some ways it was being successful, as the mark making is generating an interesting approach. It was also, however, being very time consuming and wouldn’t have produced a good final image.