The A4 size is quite limiting, so I’m shiting toi A3 for the moment. To do this I’ve bought some A3 perspex sheets. Although I only really need 1, I thought this allows me to do a few attempts before a full on clean up. I started out using different leaves, but following the concept of the “Balance of Tees” idea.
Feedback, written up by myself based on a video session…
Overall, this part represents good assignment submission, where you have clearly enjoyed yourself and improved you observational drawing. You have clearly engaged with the part and learned a lot about drawing and the use of negative space. The work shows good progress through the exercises and the sketchbook. Continue reading “Assignment 4 Feedback”→
The pieces of Project 4.1 and 4.3 have required me to develop a number of new technical skills to produce – especially around line art, production of a wider tonal range and drawing without the use of an eraser. These should be tested quite well in parts 5 if I do the print and narrative options, as I intend. I’m happy with the composition, and that scope that it allowed to demonstrate tonal range in the drawings. I’m also fairly happy with the level of observational skill and interest in the drawings, despite being able to see a number of issues retrospectively. The hands were a particular challenge in Project 4.3. I had to look into anatomy and do plenty of practice to even come up with a passable set of hand images. The feet were slightly less so, but still quite a challenge. Continue reading “Part 4 Evaluation”→
In all cases, I’m not totally happy with the images but they are a definite improvement over where I was. In the hands images, for example, I’m not that happy with the fist. I was going for a darker image in the tonal range (which worked), but I’m not as happy with the observation and accuracy of this one. In the touching feet, the background needs a level of work. I might also have put more effort into the rendering of the material of the jeans. For the crossed feet the toe on the right foot (on the left hand side of the image) is a little too bulbous. Similarly the arch of the foot is somewhat off. Continue reading “Project 4.3: Evaluation and Reflection”→
I will continue to use the evaluation framework from my previous tutor for convenience. Although somewhat long winded, the approach does provide me with a series of different lenses through which to consider my work on the projects. Although I’m sure a lighter weight approach would suffice, this approach does seem to be effective for reflection. As I did the preparation as a block, however, I will do the evaluation together as well.
This has really been a long running project which has stumped me, and I’m not totally happy with the results as yet. I do feel, however, it might be time to move on. Maybe. In the second image I am, at long last, getting happier. The images are still far from perfect, but they have definitely improved.
Its taken me a while to actually start Project 4.1. Partly this was taking a break in general, but I have also been trying to do some practice and consideration of how best to approach it. The brief makes it clear that this is about building a network of lines and not continually rubbing stuff out if you make a mistake. It is also about building a fair sense of tone with line based marks rather than density of mark making material. These approaches are both quite new to me. Continue reading “Project 4.1: Making a start”→
Starting to think through my approach to part 4, I’m going to try to approach it slightly differently this time. I’m going to start by thinking through the brief of all the elements at the same time, and work out what contextual research makes sense based on that. Continue reading “Part 4: Overall approach”→