I started setting up to do a still life with a cabbage as part of the assignment work. This is based on a pointed cabbage we picked up. (Now eaten, but I’ve still got photographs.)
As an investigation around this, however, I decided to have a look around at how different artists had treated still life images including a cabbage. It turns out it is a fairly rich field, as a quick Google search and following on from it revealed.
A slight aside, but one of the criteria for the course involves showing an understanding of the contemporary context of Art. To try to help get up to speed on the current art scene I’ve been subscribing to various Art-based newsletters. One of these pointed me to the Net Art Anthology. This lists various art projects on the internet, and has some interesting concepts in the mix. Continue reading “Net Anthology and Street View”→
When out walking and thinking about Project 2 I came across a lots of potentially interesting drawing material at Scotney Castle gardens. I didn’t have my drawing materials, so I decided to take some photos to work from. Continue reading “Project 2: Lichen”→
This has been a fairly long winded Project in its own way. I previously commented on my composition research, which I have been combining with some experiments in different media. I’m beginning to think more when building a composition – which I suppose is a level of success.
The next step, I think, is to move on to the other exercises and apply this new experimenting with media and composition to them. Its likely to be an interesting journey, as I have a lot of new things to think about.
Within the media, the water colour wax crayons have worked OK – but the oil pastels are too crude. They would be best for very large format drawings, or I need to find a way to provide more subtlety in their use. The blending of colour “in situ,” rather than on a palette, is also proving quite a challenge for me – but one I need as however many colours I have available I’ll never have everything I’d like.