Who was he for me?
The short answer is an artist recommended to me by my tutor. On investigating, however, I start to see why. I’m not sure I could say I really like his work, but there is something of a connection to some of my own:
I’m not sure I could truly say I like his work – I can’t see me deciding to have a print on my walls at home.
I have observed previously that I want to move away from trying for purely realistic representation and try to emphasise a more open style. Egon Schiele achieves this in spades:
- 8 Things that Will Change the Way You Think About Egon Schiele
- Ten brilliant works by Egon Schiele
- Art Story
- Vincent van Gogh and W. Kandinsky influenced Schiele;
- He had a strong connection to Gustav Klimt, who was also a sponsor;
- Strongly influenced Tracey Emin. This video is interesting on this subject: https://youtu.be/WZBkxqNJC9g. Tracey covers a lot of material within it (and the second part). I found it interesting for what she says of her work and the link between the two of them.