Posted in Foundation Drawing, Foundation Drawing - Part 5

Project 5.1: Found objects print

Started by setting up in a new location, much more suitable than our living room floor.
img_3045

Next was by making a template and mixing up a couple of colours. Used kitchen towels to give them an interesting texture, with the print made in the second press. I made two copies for reasons that will be clear later…

img_3047

When this was dry I started with some leaves, and laying them out on an A3 perspex sheet. I’m reusing the style and approach of the “Balance of Tees” design, but this time with leaves. Once I have the design I make a paper template, and mix up a couple of ink colours. The leaves go in the holes in the template, and then I do a series of passes pressing…

img_3139

Next step was to layout an idea on one glass, then make a template from the composition.

img_3140img_3141img_3142

The idea was to get 3 prints: the leaves are pressed into the ink plate and pick up ink. I turn those over onto another plate and get a pressing  of  the inked leaves…

img_3143

I also get a pressing from the original inked plate with the leaves on, again on one of my previous sheets…

img_3144

Lastly, I removed everything from the original inked up plate and do a final pressing…

img_3145

What have I learnt?

This process was much more successful, and I may well use one of them as my final print for the found objects. My favourite is the one with the actual leaves turned upside down, but the other two are interesting as well. I’m least happy with the one with the inked up plate and template, as the leaf images are less clear than I’d hoped for. The last print is really interesting, and probably the most abstract of them all.

I’ve come a way with the printing process for creating a monoprint, but clearly still have a way to go to perfect the whole concept. I’m running out of time though, so that may have to be “off course.”

I’ve learnt something about mixing colour, which is a lesson I hadn’t expected. Colour in art is a definite subject that needs to go back near the top of my learning focus list. I’ve dabbled with the concept previously, but lack of colour theory is a problem for my future.

Lastly, I think I’ve learnt something of the idea of meaning in art. I started with a wide open theme (“abstract image on the theme of balance”), which took me on a thought path. That coincided with a left of field stimulus, and lead me on a thought path about racism and anti-racist art. This lead to the balance of tees idea, which in turn was abstracted to these images. Would anyone else gather the meaning from them that I considered encoding into them, or is it a “muffin representing the fall of man” image?

To answer that I would (presumably) have to get feedback from others on how they might interpret the work. From the feedback I might be able to refine the image to better convey the meaning I intended. That would be  scientific approach for conveying a precise meaning, but I think (in this case) I will simply accept that the meaning of the images is what people get from them. (If anything.)

One thought on “Project 5.1: Found objects print

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s